CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

I Blip for you

Monday, August 24, 2009

Full Steam Ahead

I am moving to Portland. More or less. That's crazy.

I am so excited for the trip. I know that I'm going to volunteer and that my main focus has to stay on the work but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't equally looking forward to the musical possibilities.

First, the opportunity to work with one of my favorite record labels (fingers crossed). I have no idea how that is gonna work but I hope it does. I'm willing to do nearly anything for the label so it should be a learning experience, to say the least. Plus if it does work, I might get to hang out with some awesome musicians which would just be the greatest thing of my life. I'll find out when I get there if this dream is gonna become a reality or if I'm just chasing another dead end.

And the thing I'm most excited for, the shows. I have spent some major amounts of time looking up who's gonna be playing in Portland over the next couple months and it's looking pretty good.

Joshua Radin on Oct. 30th. There's almost no way that I'm gonna miss this show. His songs are just the sweetest thing and I'm already looking forward to it.

The Dodos on Oct. 25th. SO glad that I was recently introduced to them. They are amazing and they're gonna be even better live than on CD. Plus it'll be the perfect indie show considering the band and my location. I can't wait to see all the stereotypes fulfilled. I've been listening to a lot of the Visiter album and there are a couple tracks (Winter, Red and Purple) that I'm obsessed with.

Bo Burnham. Alright, so not your traditional music, but awesome nonetheless. I don't care that I've just seen him a couple months ago, he's the funniest nineteen year old alive and I adore him.

And the most exciting show and probably the least likely one I am to go to: Soulsavers feat. Mark Lanegan. As of right now, the fact that it's 21+ is proving to be a bit tricky but I'll see what happens as I may be able to get in. If I do get to go, I'm fairly certain I'll die. I'm currently listening to the new Soulsavers album, Broken, and it is brilliant. There's just something so perfect in this indescribable mix of rock and gospel and of piano, guitar and synths. And the singers are unbeatable. Of course Mark Lanegan sounds gritty and sad and haunting on every track he's on. The new female singer has a beautiful voice that holds it's own when matched with Lanegan and absolutely shines when it's on its own on the final track. I'm totally in love with the songs You Will Miss Me When I Burn and Some Misunderstanding. This CD has totally cemented my love and respect for Soulsavers and I just have to be able to see them live.

New music for a new adventure, what more can a girl as for?

0 comments: