CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

I Blip for you

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Three Months in Portland: A Recap

Portland has absolutely spoiled me. I’m not really sure what I’m going to do over the next couple years when I most likely won’t have the time, transportation or funds to go to as many concerts as I have been over the past three months. I still can’t believe that it’s already been three months. In that time I’ve gone to so many amazing shows and seen some of the most brilliant performances. The experience so far has been amazing and I guess that I’ve been so busy trying to live it that I’ve neglected my writing.

Bo Burnham performed at the Aladdin Theatre on Oct. 16th. Since I had just seen him in June I figured I would already know most of his routine, but really I had most of his songs memorized anyways so I guess I knew it the first time around as well. While Bo’s songs are hilarious and it’s definitely worth going even if just for those, it’s his interactions with the audience and his jokes between the songs where he’s absolutely golden. He’s so witty and quick with comebacks that you really do hope for a heckler just to watch Bo dismantle them in front of everyone. And thankfully, that’s what happened. Actually, no one is safe from Bo’s jokes. The girls in the front were made fun of for their names, the doorman for looking like Tay Zonday (he really did, it was amazing) and even the venue was made fun of when Bo said that he expected the old men from the Muppets to appear from the balconies they had on the side (A comment I had made earlier in the night and was very excited when Bo made the same observation). Bo Burnham is only 19 years old and he’s able to entertain an audience composed of every age and ethnicity. That’s just awesome and I’m so happy I’ve been able to see it so often and can’t wait to see him again.

The Dodos
at the Aladdin Theatre, Oct 25th. I’m just gonna say this was the most disappointing show that I’ve been to. Not to say that it was a bad show, it just wasn’t the amazing experience that the other shows were. The problem was mostly that of the venue and not the bands. While the Aladdin Theatre is a perfect location for a comedian like Bo Burnham, it is most definitely not ideal for a performance like the Dodos. The seating causes everyone to be too quiet for a band that should inspire its listeners to get up and dance along. Because of this, the vibe was, like one of the guys from the opener, the Ruby Suns, said, like playing to a school auditorium. On top of that, I was stuck in the balcony where they had placed the minors. Now I appreciate that they had let the minors in at all, but seriously? The balcony? I hate it when the minors are separated and to put them so far away from the show as if they’ve been punished for not being old enough is insulting. But the show itself was fun. Listening to the Ruby Suns was like listening to island music on mars and made me want to make music videos with dinosaurs and astronauts to go along with it. The Dodos were fantastic and played almost every song that I wanted them to play. The highlight was then they turned off all of the lights to that the whole theatre was pitch black and then lit up balls of light on their drumsticks and the fingers of the guitarist. Watching the moving lights with the music was an amazingly surreal experience. Overall, it wasn’t the best show I’ve ever been to but it was fun and I’d definitely go again provided I could stand and dance along with the band.

Joshua Radin at the Aladdin Theatre, Oct. 30th. Joshua Radin is an amazing performer. He’s good looking, charming and an amazing musician. You can’t ask for a better show. Knowing that his music is rather relaxing, I wasn’t too worried about it being at the Aladdin Theatre because it would be nice to sit down and just enjoy his music. He told stories to every song, joked and interacted with the audience and wore a Powell’s Books t-shirt that had the outline of the state of Oregon, which of course caused everyone in the theatre to cheer. He played a fantastic mix of all of his CD’s including the one he’s currently working on. The show was simply fantastic and I am waiting for his new CD to drop and for him to go on tour again because there is no way that I am not going to be there. On top of all of that, I asked the light guy if he had the set list and he told me that if I waited by the door after the show, he’d try to get it for me and so when I waited at the door he came out with setlist; a nice souvenir for a fantastic show.

Ghostland Observatory
at the Crystal Ballroom on November 8th. This was the first techno/dance show that I’ve gone to and I’m definitely a convert. It was brilliant. Non-stop dancing and excitement. It was everything that a show should be: a connection between the artists and audience. I knew that it was going to be a good show when we arrived and there were a few guys in capes already dancing along to the house music. This was also the first big show that I’ve gone to where I didn’t know a lot of songs from the band. I had briefly listened to their stuff that morning and so I had an idea of the kind of show it was going to be and had a few songs that I wanted to listen to. Not only did they play every song that I wanted to hear but every song that they played was great. The one thing that wasn’t awesome was how long they made us wait before the band arrived; the show didn’t start until around 10. But when they did start, they more than made up for the wait. The vibe and energy in the room was unparalleled and when the band left the audience didn’t stop the energy until we got two amazing encores that lasted just long enough to make sure I was thoroughly exhausted. The audience was one of the most diverse I’ve seen, and that’s saying something for Portland, and that everyone was so united for this show was a truly awesome experience.

Saul Williams at the Aladdin Theatre, Nov 15th. One of the coolest, most emotional concerts I’ve ever been to. The openers were good; they succeeded in pumping up the audience and all that jazz. But really, everyone was there for Saul Williams and you could feel the pent up energy as we all waited. When he finally did arrive, the theatre exploded, and for good reason. Arriving with his Mohawk of feathers in his hair, Saul Williams gets attention. If I remember correctly, he began the show with List of Demands, but don’t quote me on that. Regardless, every song performed, every poem recited was outstanding and by the time he covered Sunday Bloody Sunday it was one of the best audiences I’ve ever been a part of. There’s just something about Saul Williams fans that makes them awesome. It was by far the best show I’ve been to as far as range of fans go. I wish I could explain how electric the energy was. Being right against the stage, it radiated from all around me and the connection between everyone there was inspiring. Plus, I caught one of the feathers that he took out of his hair and threw to the audience. I'm gonna cherish it forever. Saul Williams said that he’s going to start working on his next album after this tour and when that album drops and he goes on tour to promote it, I’m going to be there in the audience because when Saul Williams performs, you don’t miss it.

0 comments: